Skip to main content
- When you are on a page you want the citation information saved, click on the Zotero icon on the toolbar.
- The icon will change slightly depending if it is a book, article, web page or group.
- A window will appear showing you the saved information.
- In Zotero, complete citation information will be shown in the right pane.
- Double check that all the information you need has been captured.
Manually Entering Citations
- To add a citation manually, simply click on the PLUS button and select the type of citation you would like to add.
- A blank template will be added and you can fill the fields with citation information.
- Items can be added using the ISBN, DOI or PMID number.
Adding Items Using ISBN or DOI Numbers
- Click on the pencil with plus sign.
- Enter the number.
- Your item information will be retrieved.
Creating Bibliographies in Zotero
- Select your items in the middle pane by pressing Ctrl-click
- Each selected item will be highlighted
- Press the right mouse key
- Select ‘Create Bibliography from Items.’ The output mode window will open.
- Select your Citation Style
- Output Mode can be in citations or a bibliography
- Select your output method:
- –Save as RTF: Use with a word processor without a Zotero plugin.
- –Save as HTML: save if you wish to paste bibliography into a web page
- –Copy to Clipboard: Copy and paste bibliography
- --Print: print bibliography
Using MS Word Add-on
- In MS Word, use the Zotero addon to create a bibliography of items cited. Click on Zotero on the Word menu bar.
- Click on ‘Insert Bibliography’
- Bibliography will be inserted at cursor
- Note: only items that have been cited will be in the bibliography when using the Word plugin