Interlibrary Loan Service
What is Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service offered to all students and faculty. If you need a book or article that is not available in the UCN Libraries' print or electronic collection, the library can submit a request to receive the book or article from another library.
The ILL process can take between 10-14 days to complete. Books shipped through the mail can take longer, so please plan your requests accordingly.
How Do I Request an Item?
There are two ILL request methods, depending on the source of your citation:
EBSCO Database Citations
If the article is found in an EBSCO database, but not in full-text, it may be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
- From the Results List in the EBSCO database click on: Request this item through Interlibrary Loan
- Fill in the form (only starred items need to be filled in).
- The database will automatically complete the citation information.
- Click on the submit button. The request will be sent to our ILL librarian to process.
- Articles will be e-mailed to you as soon as they arrive.
All Other Citations
Requests for articles or books from other sources (for example, from book bibliographies or non-EBSCO databases) may be placed using the form found here: Request an Item
Information for UCN Library users
Who can make a request to borrow an item from another library?
UCN students, faculty members, and staff members who do not have any outstanding Library fees.
What does a request cost?
Most items are free. However, if a lending library charges for an article/book, the cost will be absorbed by the library until the limit is reached. The student's limit is $75.00 and for faculty/staff it is $200.00.
What materials can I request?
You can request materials not available at an UCN Library. The lending library determines what materials are available. Typically you can request:
- Copies of journal, magazine, or newspaper articles
Placing a request does not guarantee availability or delivery. If your requested item is not available, a message will be sent to your UCN email account.
How do I place a request?
- Ensure that the item you want is not available from UCN Libraries. Check the UCN Library Catalogue and for availability.
- If no information can be found in a database or catalogue, please talk to our ILL Librarian.
How long will it take for my item to arrive?
Arrival time depends on availability of the item, processing time, and travel time.
Typically, copies will arrive in three to seven working days and books will arrive in ten to 14 days.
How do I get my item?
All ILL items must be picked-up from the campus Library you indicated on your request.
A message will be sent to your UCN email account when your item is ready for pick-up.
If you do not pick up your item within 10 days of receiving the pick-up notice, the item will be returned to the lending library.
How long can I keep my item?
Copies are yours to keep.
The lending library sets the due date for items that must be returned, including books. These items must be returned to an UCN LIbrary by the indicated due date, or you will be charged overdue fines. The lending library may recall the item - ask for the item back - prior to the original due date. You will be contacted if your item is recalled.
May I renew my item?
Renewals may be available, at the discretion of the lending library. If you wish to request a renewal, contact UCN Library at least five working days prior to the item’s due date.What happens if I don’t return my item by its due date?
Your account will be blocked until the item is returned.
What happens if I lose or damage my item?
You will be responsible for any fees for loss or damage of borrowed materials charged by the lending library.
What if I want to request a unique item (such as microform or historical documents), or a hard to find item?
Please discuss your request with our ILL Librarian.
What if I want to request a video or DVD?
Most institutions will not lend videos and DVDs. Talk to the ILL Librarian for more information.
Information for Other Libraries
- Most items in UCN Library’s circulating collection are available for interlibrary loan requests
- Circulating items may not be available due to reasons such as availability, high use, or copyright/licensing restrictions
- Copies may not be available due to reasons such as copyright/licensing restrictions
Institutions can place an interlibrary loan request via:
Typically two to three weeks upon receipt. All items are subject to recall.
Renew requests will be considered. Request a renewal via Outlook or contact UCN Library Interlibrary Loan.
Sending and receiving copies
UCN Library can send and accept copies via:
UCN Library can accept copies via email: email@example.comCost
- UCN has agreements with COPPUL, MLCI and the Manitoba Public Library Service.
University College of the North
436 7th Street East, P. O. Box 3000
The Pas, MB.
NLC Code: MTPK