Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is Citation Management?
Citation management software allows the user to create personalized databases of citation information and notes. They allow you to:
- import and organize citation information from article indexes and other sources
- save links to pdfs and other documents, and in some cases save the document itself
- format citations for your papers and bibliographies using APA and many other styles
- include your own notes
Benefits of Using Citation Management Software
Citation Software Comparison Chart
What's the Best Software?
When reviewing citation software, consider the following:
- How do you gather references?
- Do you have a bunch of PDFs on your computer that need organizing?
- Do you need to sync references and PDFs across different devices?
- What types of materials will you be working with?
- What databases will you be using?
- Do you work in languages other than English?
- How much patience and skill do you have for troubleshooting technical issues?
- How much money are you willing/able to spend?
Ease of sharing
- Are you working with collaborators?
- Do you want your research to lead you to other researchers with similar interests?
- Is this tool something you picture yourself using beyond your time at UCN?